Opening...Welcome!

Catch 22-Discovering Life in your 20's is a memoir centered on the tumultuos discovery of life and one's self in their twenties. Who am I? What makes me happy? What makes me sad? What makes me spark? What drives me? What career path do I choose? How do I find my soul-mate? Does a soul-mate even exist? What are the qualities I am searching for in that person? I have found that person...are they right for me? How do I find comfort in my own skin? Am I making the right decisions? Am I being safe with sex and drugs? At what point do my bad habits need to end? How do I budget my money and myself? How do I establish balance in my life? Questions out-weigh the answers, answers that we must continue through this tunnel of experience to understand.

Life is becoming more real every minute, adulthood sinks in, and some of the darkest AND most beautiful aspects of life begin to show face. Some of you will experience heartbreak for the first time, some will experience death, some will enter the work force to discover that the gossip and social politics we dealt with in high school are never-ending.

As we linger on the cusp of this critical moment in time, two steps forward often follow by one step back, frustration and pain interchange with excitement and novelty, and a new sense of discovery is born.

"I've got it!" "I know who I am!" "I know what I want!" These are the statements we proclaim with vigilance...and then there's a CATCH.

Something happens, someone lets us down, life changes unexpectedly and we feel back at square one.

This is the Catch 22--this is the battle of life in our twenties.

4/30/09

One door opens, another door closes

I got the job! I got my first "real" job...I guess you would say. I am an assistant to an interior designer in Pacific Heights...Studio D design. Sweet! I am holding on to my career in fashion still. I have to start pursuing writing prospects for local magazines. I met another photographer for Vogue, I'm thinking of shooting him an email to see what connections he might be able to offer. Its all about networking in today's day and age. You just have to email people, "Hey! You are inspiring! I want to do what you do? How do I make it happen?" If they're cool, they'll agree to meet with you which is your opportunity to show them what you've got. In this industry, it means showing them the style you've got, the personality, and your "go-get-it" kind of attitude. Thats whats going to sink in, thats what they are going to remember.

Now that I have a job that will actually allow me to make some money I am sooooo excited. I will be able to get facials regularly! I will be able to attend dance classes regularly! I will be able to buy new clothes, have fun with my wardrobe and style! All essential to being in this industry, develop yourself both internally and externally, its the truth.

So, this is all very exciting. It took me nine months of sending out resumes (probably 1-4 a week) and getting NO response. I didn't even get an interview! Bullshit!! And the one interview I got, I killed it! I knew I would. Not because I am conceited, but because I am confident. I am articulate and I work hard when its for someone that I know sees that and appreciates it. I lucked out. Found a down to earth boss who will teach me so much and allow me to grow professionally in the field. Its on!

So thats the door that opened. Its the one you wait for when you graduate college. The opportunity that allows you to develop your resume, your passions, and your career.

Another door has closed. Ironically within the first hour of my first day at the new job I recieved the phone call....Anthony Calhoun died last night in a car accident on his way home from a friends BBQ. Its like I talked about in the "Renewal" posting, he was a landmark in my life. He was a lover and a friend. We had our moments, our fights, but thats what developed our relationship even further. We didnt bullshit with each other, and I definately did not bullshit with him--one of the things he always said he loved about me. He met this girl named Billy, said she reminded him of his "Sarah Anne," but still no where the same. He would complain to me, "come back here, I will never find another Sarah Anne, why aren't we together?" I would just roll my eyes, Oh Anthony, we both know it would never work, we're too damn stubborn together.

There was a special bond between us, I felt it and heard it in his voice when we talked on the phone, an unconditional kind of love, something that I believed would make him a friend for life. Although we had a previous relationship, I considered him my dear friend above all. I pictured him at my wedding, thinking he would tell my husband, "You are such a lucky guy! And if you ever to anything to hurt her, I'll hunt you down...." (lol, anyone who knew Anthony knew about his ability to fight....crazy boy)

I miss him. I scroll through my phone and pass his name "Anth," and realize I will never be able to call him again. I will never be able to on a whim, just call to say hi and tell him I loved him. We felt so special together and with one another. I hope you are in a better place now. I hope I will see you again in another life. You shouldn't have left so soon. You are truly treasured.

And the door is closed.

No comments: