Opening...Welcome!

Catch 22-Discovering Life in your 20's is a memoir centered on the tumultuos discovery of life and one's self in their twenties. Who am I? What makes me happy? What makes me sad? What makes me spark? What drives me? What career path do I choose? How do I find my soul-mate? Does a soul-mate even exist? What are the qualities I am searching for in that person? I have found that person...are they right for me? How do I find comfort in my own skin? Am I making the right decisions? Am I being safe with sex and drugs? At what point do my bad habits need to end? How do I budget my money and myself? How do I establish balance in my life? Questions out-weigh the answers, answers that we must continue through this tunnel of experience to understand.

Life is becoming more real every minute, adulthood sinks in, and some of the darkest AND most beautiful aspects of life begin to show face. Some of you will experience heartbreak for the first time, some will experience death, some will enter the work force to discover that the gossip and social politics we dealt with in high school are never-ending.

As we linger on the cusp of this critical moment in time, two steps forward often follow by one step back, frustration and pain interchange with excitement and novelty, and a new sense of discovery is born.

"I've got it!" "I know who I am!" "I know what I want!" These are the statements we proclaim with vigilance...and then there's a CATCH.

Something happens, someone lets us down, life changes unexpectedly and we feel back at square one.

This is the Catch 22--this is the battle of life in our twenties.

1/4/09

Renewal

Ok so I have neglected writing for an entire month now. It's that week of strength you ensue after a hard point in your life. And then reality kicks in and you get shot right back down....or maybe you don't...just me....and I wouldn't say exactly shot back down...just a detract in motivation. It takes so much energy to push through a rough spot, and just like a race, if you use all your juice up in the beginning you'll trek slower to the finish. Well here I am again, with my second wind.

The weight has been lifted. It's officially gone, a distant memory, and now I am once again finding purpose in my life, except this time for myself, and only myself. You see....that is the problem with getting involved in a serious relationship before you have fully developed yourself and where you want to go. It makes it easier to stop worrying about that and just live in the moment. But that my friends, is not reality.

What is reality is that you will one day be completely on your own--financially, emotionally, and physically. It is better to develop your independence in these three areas in the beginning, those who become landmarks along the way should be just that. They should be monuments that either last forever as a source of strength and inspiration, or that you move past once they have provided you the necessary reflections and life lessons they were supposed to. I mean isn't that what people are all about? Bouncing ideas off one another, testing one another's reactions, simply to develop their own true opinions of themselves and the world around them.

The idea is that people come and go, nothing is a guarantee, no matter how convinced you are that it is. So build YOURSELF strong in these categories and you will be sufficient to handle yourself and your life when the time comes for certain people to walk away...

So back to the drawing board, that's where I am. And I've discovered a new career path, something I have wanted to do since I was a kid. Isn't that what dreams really are? The ones we have as children that manifest and grow with us into adulthood? A career I have always pictured myself in, and now its just getting there thats the tricky part. But I will. Oh yes I will. And know you can too...with your dreams that is.

No comments: